Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lousy Harvest with a few Surprises!!

We neglected the garden this summer much more than we anticipated when we began our plantings in the spring.  I suppose welcoming a new baby (Maya) into the world re-focused our energies a bit. Despite our lack of focus, we still managed to harvest a good amount of tomato, beets and carrots.  With these, I was able to make things like soups and pasta sauce, but most of the other veggies were not very prolific. On a fun note, the garden did provide a few surprises.  Our pumpkins and squash, pictured below, grew from the beauty of natural re-seeding from our compost pile.  I dont think they would have made their debut had we tended to the garden like we planned.  Pumpkins take up sooooo much space and this year we let the plant take over, so one pumpkin grew from each vine that invaded our garden space.  It just goes to show that even if you dont sweat and slave, a garden can and will manage to provide you with something nurishing and beautiful. 
As I focus on next years plantings and anticipated harvest, I am planning to learn more about canning from my very talented friend Robyn who runs a GORGEOUS organic farm (Park Ridge Organics) in Fon du Lac, WI.  We have a date planned this month where she will teach me the process so that I will put less into the freezer in plastic bags and more on my shelf in jars which will use less energy to keep.  I look forward to learning from her and still managing to consume a good deal of wine and listen to records all nite simultaneously!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment